Monday 24 January 2011

App Store 10 billion download winner hung up on 'prank' Apple call

The winner of Apple's 10 billionth download promotion hung up on the company when they called, thinking it was a prank. Gail Davis of Orpington, Kent, UK, had downloaded Paper Glider, a free iOS game, on Saturday, and with that, won a $10,000 iTunes gift card.

Davis said:
“I thought it was a prank call. I said, ‘Thank you very much, I’m not interested’ and I hung up.”
The call came Eddy Cue, Apple’s Vice-President in charge of iTunes. Her daughter told Davis it wasn't a prank, and she started to panic, but she needn't have: Apple wasn't going to let one hang-up deter them.
"The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a genuine call. The girls were getting quite tense. They never would have forgiven me. They would have held it against me for all eternity.”
Indeed they would not have.  Gail Davis didn't actually make the download.  It was one of her two daughters, 14 and 17, who was the actual winner.  Fortunately for her, Davis was called again a few hours later by one of Cue's colleagues.

Davis and her husband only have iPod nanos, which cannot run iOS apps. They're thinking of upgrading their devices so they can start downloading. She needs to hurry; as she indicated, her daughters are already trying to figure out what to buy.